- As tariffs rise, and trade wars escalate, how many more companies will follow the example of Harley Davidson, and shift production overseas?
- How many Americans will lose their jobs?
- Harley has not confirmed whether jobs are leaving the United States, but the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, the union representing many Harley workers, is concerned.
- The Tax Foundation predicts 48,585 US jobs will be lost due to the recent tariffs.
- Harley Davidson says they are going to absorb the additional $2,200 cost, but for how long?
- How many other companies can’t — or won’t — absorb the increased costs?
- As consumers, how will this impact the cost of the goods that we purchase?
- What will happen if we slow down our spending?
- Will Americans realize that these are tax increases on Americans?
- And, as taxpayers, how will these tariffs/taxes impact us?
- Are European Union and China correct in stating that trade wars could lead to a global recession?
- Steel is in our electronic products (phones, TVs), appliances, tools, and parts … parts used by consumers, our military, energy companies, farm equipment, airlines. Everything will cost more.
- The cost of new cars is likely to increase. What will happen to the demand, and price, of used cars?
- We have delayed maintenance on bridges to save tax money. Now they are red-listed as dangerous bridges and need to be replaced. With the new tariffs on steel, the replacements will cost even more — more to the town or state or federal government, and, ultimately more to the taxpayers.
* I know more about tariffs now than I did before I started this article, but recognize I understand nowhere near enough if this was something about which I would be making decisions as an elected official. If I spend this much researching something that I will never have to vote on, can you imagine how much time I’ll spend on topics that I will have to vote on? That’s one reason why Bonnie Wright is Right for Salem!
- Trade War Could Trigger Global Recession, China and Europe Warn – https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-25/china-and-europe-warn-trade-war-could-trigger-global-recession?utm_campaign